Individuals with psychological disorders are amongst the most differentiated groups in under-developed nations. Mental health conditions which include depression, stress, dementia, epilepsy are responsible for a great deal of mortality and disability.
“Individual Needs” is a big term under which multiple diagnosis fall. They are commonly described as things a child is unable to do- unmet achievements, foods banned, activities avoided. These negativities affect a family adversely and may make this term a tragic one. Some parents repeatedly mourn their child’s lost potential which is one thing that can spell trouble with time. Other families may find that their child’s weaknesses are often accompanies by amazing strengths.
Children with individual needs could experience situations like:
- Difficulties in learning or reflective mental retardation
- Food allergies
- Growth delay that catch up quickly or remain deep-rooted
- Sporadic panic attacks or serious psychiatric problems
It is easy to recognise your child when he has fever. However, it’s difficult to identify mental health problem but you can learn to recognise the warning signs:
- Pay attention to increasing anger, fear and anxiety
- Surprise change in your child’s behaviour
- Indulging in too many physical activities
- Dismantling or destroying things
Children with behaviour problems usually don’t respond to conventional discipline. They need thoughtful strategies that are tailored to their specific requirements as a response to diagnosis like:
- Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD)
- Foetal Alcohol Spectrum Disorder (FASD)
- Dysfunction of Sensory Integration
If those strategies are left undeveloped, children with behavioural problems pose a challenge and are seriously at risk for learning and school problem.
Each child with individual needs will have its own set of complications to deal with. While issues may be similar, their effect may differ. It’s best to get under the supervision of a psychologist because he can monitor and address your child’s mental condition in the best possible manner.