People suffering from restless leg syndrome (RLS) have a strange feeling of itching, or tickling or wiggling under their skin. This medical condition where people are unable to resist moving their legs in response to the uncomfortable or painful sensations experienced is also known as Wittmaack-Ekbom’s syndrome.
Restless leg syndrome also affects the arms and torso. This condition becomes more pronounced when the person is at rest. Restless leg syndrome worsens with age and leads to chronic sleeplessness, inability to sleep etc.
Restless Leg Syndrome Symptoms
Signs of restless leg syndrome to watch out for include painful sensations in the parts of the body such as thighs, calves, feet, arms, or torso. These symptoms get worse in the evenings or during the nights.
Restless leg syndrome home remedies
- Soak the legs in a warm bath and massage them on a daily basis to relax the muscles. This will help in case of restless leg syndrome.
- Walk around and perform exercises to relieve some of the symptoms of restless leg syndrome. The exercises should be performed at a moderate level since overdoing them may intensify the symptoms. Stretching exercises are more beneficial to address this problem.
- Apply warm or cold compresses to reduce the sensations in the legs. Stress is associated with the causes of the restless leg syndrome. Therefore, perform relaxation techniques such as meditations and yoga to reduce stress and calm the nerves. Relaxing your body before going to bed is also helpful.
- Reduce your caffeine consumption such as tea, coffee, and other beverages. Caffeine is known to aggravate restless leg syndrome. People who smoke or consume alcohol are at a higher risk of acquiring this syndrome. Therefore, refrain from such products as they have adverse effects on sleep.
- The natural treatment of restless leg syndrome also includes the consumption of a wide variety of nutrient-rich foods. Most people who have been affected by the illness of restless leg syndrome have been found to be deficient in iron, magnesium, or folate. Therefore, incorporate iron and magnesium-rich foods in your diet.
- Maintaining a fixed schedule for bedtime helps the body prepare for a good-night sleep and reducing restless leg syndrome. Therefore, avoid watching television and drinking any beverages before you retire to bed.
- A gentle massage of your head with coconut or almond oil will help relax the mind and body. This is effective in restless leg syndrome.
- Acupuncture and electric-nerve stimulation have also been found to be of great help in alleviating the symptoms of restless leg syndrome.
The above mentioned home remedies for restless leg syndrome have been effective in most cases. However, the best way to deal with this condition it is to keep your near and dear ones informed, take necessary remedial measures and share information with people with similar condition.