Acne of zits is an inflammatory skin disorder of the sebaceous glands – small microscopic glands that secrete sebum, a natural lubricant.
In homeopathy, acne is believed to be a defence mechanism. It is the body’s response to fighting the intruder, for e.g. bacteria. Acne, according to homeopathy, heals best when it is detached from the level beneath the skin and eased out of the body. Homeopathy uses natural medicines made from substances that, in large doses, cause acne, but in ‘microdoses’ encourage the body to ‘flush’ it out of the system, and not just from the surface.
Homeopathy treats acne in two ways. First, it addresses the local causes, such as oily skin (best managed by homeopathic remedy, Thuja Occidentalis) and dandruff (Kali Sulphuricum) and second, it corrects the root cause of the problem, such as hormonal changes (Pulsatilla), stress (Natrum Muraiticum), polycystic ovarian cysts (Apis Mellifica) and other causes through a properly selected remedy that will suit the particular individual. For best results, seek the advice of a professional homeopath.
If you haven’t had the time to go to a homeopath and need some quick-fixes, try out some simple home remedies that can effective for a short period. However, these remedies may provide, at best, transitory relief.
Useful Kitchen Remedies
- Cucumber: Make a cucumber face mask by blending one small cucumber and one cup of oatmeal. Mix one teaspoon of the paste with one teaspoon of curd and apply it to your face. Leave it on for 20 minutes and then rise.
- Grape: Cut two or three grapes (a great facial cleanser) in halves and rub the flesh over your face and neck. Rinse with cold water.
- Honey: Wash your face and apply honey. Leave it on for 20 minutes and rinse.
- Yeast and Curd: Combine one teaspoon of brewer’s yeast with a little curd to create a thin mixture. Apply it on the face and leave it on for about 20 minutes. Rinse with warm water followed by cold water.
- Turmeric: Mix half cup of chickpea flour, two teaspoons each of turmeric powder, sandalwood powder, ghee or almond oil, and combine them with some water to make a paste. Apply, rub gently, and leave it on for 10-15 minutes. Rinse with normal water.