If you have friends who follow a vegetarian diet, you might often hear about how this lifestyle provides a number of nutrients and is healthier than eating meat. Although vegetarianism has a wide range of benefits, don’t discount a diet that includes meat and other animal products such as milk. Provided you eat a balanced diet, a non-vegetarian eating plan can be healthy for you.
When looking at the benefits of being non-vegetarian or vegetarian we can clearly say that both have their pros and cons. A vegetarian diet does sound very promising with all the fresh fruits and vegetables available in a variety of colours. But the benefits of a non-vegetarian diet cannot be denied.
Advantages of following a non vegetarian diet
- Someone consuming meat and its related products definitely has a wide range of food to choose from. Not only can he enjoy his share of vegetarian food but also indulge in all the non-vegetarian preparations. Needless to say a non-vegetarian person is in an advantageous position when considering his food options.
- When visiting places, one concern that often comes to the fore is availability of desired food. In case of non-vegetarians this concern is not as great as they can easily have both vegetarian and non-vegetarian foods. They also develop the ability to adapt to different kinds of food types with a greater ease as compared to vegetarians, especially the staunch types.
- Protein intake is very important for the proper physical and mental development. When considering the sources of protein vegetarians have certain choices like legumes and milk but in comparison meat is a superior type. It has also been proven medically that protein from animal sources is of a far better quality than plant sources.
- Heart related diseases are one of the most common diseases in today’s world. Blame it on the food or lifestyle it cannot be ignored. This has led to the emphasis of including foods rich in omega 3 fatty acids into our diets and one of its most important sources is seafood. Needless to say, this gives one more benefit of being non-vegetarian. Researchers have also shown that omega 3 acids are beneficial in preventing cancer.
- Time and again we come across report citing the benefits of eating fish. Apart from the protein and omega 3 acids they are also a very rich source of vitamin A which gives a big boost to the brains. Children fed a fish diet are often found to be faring better than the non-fish-eating ones.
Disadvantages of following a non vegetarian diet
Eliminating meat from your diet might help lower your risk for certain health conditions and make it easier to get the recommended amounts of different nutrients. Healthy diets limit lean meat and skinless poultry to no more than 6 ounces per day, which is about one 3-ounce serving for each lunch and dinner. Avoid complete abolition of meat from your diet.
The high fat and cholesterol content in some cuts of meat may increase your risk for high cholesterol and heart disease. Conventionally raised beef often contains hormones and antibiotics, which some people prefer to avoid. Processed meats are particularly unhealthy because of their high fat, preservative and salt content. Grass-fed beef, which is lower in fat and higher in essential nutrients – including the B vitamins, vitamin E and omega-3 fats cane be another healthier option.
Choose skinless poultry and fish more often than red meat. The more often you eat red or processed meats, the higher your risk for diabetes and heart disease. Healthcare professionals say that increasing your intake of red and processed meats is linked with a higher risk for lung and colon cancer.