An itchy eye is a common sight. The problem worsens in a high-polluted environment or during allergy season. Though itching eyes do not pose a threat to the eyesight, they can cause frustration and anxiety to patients. It can affect the everyday life of a person. It is important to consult an eye specialist to find out the underlying cause of itchiness.
What are the causes of itching eyes?
- Allergies to pollen which leads to allergic conjunctivitis causing redness and itching
- Dryness of the eyes
- Asthma, allergic rhinitis and eczema can cause itching of the eyes
- Contact lenses and improper hygiene while using contact lenses can lead to conjunctivitis and itching
- Bacterial infections
- Irregular climate change increases the itching of the eyes
- Sensitivity to certain cosmetic products can cause itching
What are the signs and symptoms of itchy eyes?
Most common signs and symptoms of itching eyes include:
- Persistent itching of the eye
- Burning sensation in the eye
- Runny eyes
- Inflamed eyelids
- Swelling of conjunctiva
- Red and irritated eyes and eyelids
- Discharge from the eye
- Sensitivity to light
Home Remedies for itchy Eyes
Aloe Vera: Aloe Vera is an effective natural home remedy that is widely used to treat itching eyes.
- Extract Aloe Vera juice from a fresh Aloe Vera plant and mix it with a teaspoon of honey.
- Wash your eyes with this solution mixture for at least two times a day.
- Repeat the process until the itching eye problem is solved completely.
Vegetable juices: Raw vegetable juices such as carrot and spinach are known to be effective in treating itching eye problems.
- Extract fresh carrot juice from one or two carrots and drink this juice twice every day.
- Extract spinach juice from fresh spinach leaves and drink this juice to achieve positive results.
- You can also combine both the carrot and spinach juice and drink it twice a day.
Fenugreek Seeds: Fenugreek is a natural ingredient that possesses the ability to treat itching eye problems.
- Soak fenugreek seeds in water for about 8 to 10 hours. Grind the seeds with enough water to make a smooth paste.
- Apply fenugreek seed paste over your eyes and leave it there for 20 minutes.
- Rinse with cold water.
- Repeat the process two times a day.
Cold Milk: Milk is considered to be one of the best home remedies for itchy eyes.
- Take a clean cotton ball, dip it in a glass of cold milk and rub it around your eyes.
- You can also place the cotton ball soaked with cold milk on the eyes.
- Repeat this process three times a day to get positive results.
Water and salt: Water and salt are common home remedies that have been in practice to treat itchy eyes for centuries.
- Add a teaspoon of salt in a cup of distilled pure water. This is a natural eye wash.
- Boil this solution until the soil completely dissolves in the water.
- Allow the water to cool to room temperature and then flush your eyes with this water to get relief from itching eyes.
Cold compress: To get quick relief from itching and redness of the eye you can use a cold compress.
- Soak a cloth in ice cold water and place it over the eyes.
- Place chilled chamomile tea bags over the eyes.
- Do it 3-4 times a day to get instant relief.
Cucumber: Cucumber provides coolness and soothes the eyes. It minimizes the irritation and swelling of the eyes.
- Wash and clean the cucumber and make thin slices of it.
- Refrigerate it for 15-20 minutes and put them over the eyes.
- Do this four to five times a day.
Itching of the eyes is a common thing. Everyone gets it at least once in a lifetime. These remedies are extremely beneficial. If you don’t get relief even after using these home remedies, contact an eye doctor.